Building a Python OCX

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 16 15:43:07 EST 2001

"Mark Hammond" <MarkH at ActiveState.com> wrote in message
news:9428uv$87i$1 at nnrp1.deja.com...
> In article <9423o8$309$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,
>   John Urberg <jurberg at my-deja.com> wrote:
> > Is it possible to build a visual Python OCX control?
>
> Currently not.
>
> > Can I access Python objects thru OLE?
> > How complex is it?
>
> It is quite simple to create "standard" COM objects using Python and
> access them from any other language.  However, the extra interfaces and
> complexity required by a true OCX is currently far from trivial.

I haven't tried yet, but, couldn't one make a DHTML Scriptlet, 'energized'
with Python, and get a 'visual OCX control' that way...?  See... (a single
URL, even if my posting software or your reader wraps it):

http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/c-frame.htm?/workshop/components/scriptle
t/overview/overview.asp

and immediately-following pages about scriptlets (DHTML behaviors are
also good, but I don't know how to use them from a generic OCX
container, while that's easy for a scriptlet via the Scriptlet Container
Object -- also documented close to that page).

Alex