what happens when cookies get too big?

Skip Montanaro skip at mojam.com
Thu Jan 18 09:55:32 EST 2001

This isn't really a Python question, but since I'm using Python to implement
things, I figured perhaps I could sneak this in.

What happens when cookies get too big?  Do browsers tend to barf, toss out
the cookie, truncate it, or something else I've not anticipated?  RFC 2109
says oversize cookies (double-stuff?) must be discarded, but I wonder if all
browsers adhere to that requirement.  I'm storing a cookie that represents a
list of names.  It's zlib compressed and base64 encoded, so I can store
quite a few names.

Thanks,

--
Skip Montanaro (skip at mojam.com)