Newbie Question

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Jan 22 15:56:51 EST 2001

"sarayu balu" <sbalu at nyx.net> wrote in message
news:980192858.449719 at iris.nyx.net...
> I just downloaded pygtk-0.6.6 and installed it.
> On trying the examples, I am getting an error-
> ImportError: /usr/local/lib/python2.0/site-packages/
> _gtkModule.so: undefined symbol: g_thread_init .
> I have no clue as to what's going on, is it a gtk
> library problem, or python2.0 problem ?

Looks like either a library problem (the .so (symbol table) missing a
function that should be there) or an interface problem (an attempt to
access a function not meant to be there).  Doubt its a bug in Py 2 import
code.  The call traceback listing that came before the ImportError message
might illuminate the problem better.  Hope someone else can be more helpful
with a solution.