Darwin1.2 [was: I mean *setup.py* ! ... ]

Steven D. Majewski sdm7g at virginia.edu
Tue Jan 23 17:57:48 EST 2001

With this line:

  Darwin/*) LINKFORSHARED="-u __dummy -framework System -framework  Foundation" ;;

in Python2.1a1, the ObjC extensions build and work without any patching
of the Python distribution on MacOSX using:

./configure  --with-framework --with-dyld --with-objc --with-suffix=.x

However, as both MacOSX public beta and the public source Darwin version
report themselves as "Darwin1.2" , I suspect that this is going to
break the vanilla Darwin build, as it doesn't come with the Foundation
framework.

I can't test that case, and I'm not sure what the solution should be,
but I wanted to post a notice just in case someone was trying to build
on the public source Darwin distribution and ran into that problem.

( I'm not sure whether any of the above switches are a reliable
  indicator of what should happen, given --with-objc could also
  mean linking with OpenStep or GnuStep. )

-- Steve Majewski <sdm7g at Virginia.EDU>