Complete list of Python IDEs (fwd)

Dr. David Mertz mertz at gnosis.cx
Tue Jan 23 23:01:55 EST 2001

ahopkins at dynacare.com (Albert Hopkins) wrote
| I was able to quickly compile a list at
| http://starship.python.net/~marduk/pythonide.html

This is a nice list that Albert Hopkins was kind enough to compile.  I
will be publishing some articles reviewing a number of these, to appear
on webreview.com and in my _Charming Python_ column at ibm.com/developer
(as a roundup).  It will be a little while until such articles actually
appear though.

In the meanwhile, Albert might want to add a few others to the list.  I
have not had the opportunity to use all of these yet, but hopefully I
will.

  Black Adder
  - http://thekompany.com/products/blackadder/
    (terribly unreliable web server)
  - Supposedly for Win32 and Linux

  PythonWin
  - http://activestate.com/Products/ActivePython/
  - For Win32
  - Maybe Komodo is intended to supercede this, since it is from the same
    place... but PythonWin is worth checking out in itself.

  PythonWorks Pro
  - http://www.pythonware.com/products/works/index.htm
  - Win32, Linux, Solaris
  - Commercial (for lots of money), so it needs to be a lot better than
    free stuff (I haven't evaluated whether it is yet).

Also a note.  I love FTE, but it does not have a Python mode in the
current source distribution.  To get that, you need to go to
http://www.vex.net/~x/python_stuff.html#fte to download the mode
configuration.  And you'll need to recompile the configuration to take
advantage of this (I also recommend changing a couple other files to get
the python mode into some menus... if anyone requests it, I can make my
changed configuration files, and slightly different Python mode file,
available).

Well, I suppose one more thing.  I can probably name at least a dozen
other general purpose editors that have a certain amount of Python
support.  It might make sense to separate the general editors from the
python-specific IDEs. Just my opinion though; it is up to Albert to
decide what he thinks is best.

Yours, David...