My first script (so go easy on me!)

Oldayz sill at localhost.kitenet.net
Tue Jan 16 21:35:07 EST 2001

On Tue, 16 Jan 2001 15:50:17 GMT, Robert L Hicks <bobhicks at adelphia.net> wrote:
>#!/usr/bin/python
>
>##
># This is a small script to cause the inetd daemon to re-read itself
>##
>
>r = "kill -HUP `ps cax|grep inetd|awk '{print $1}'`"  # restarts the daemon
>n = "Inetd not restarted"
>w = "Answer needs to be 'yes' or 'no'. Try again!"
>
>answer = " "
>
>query = raw_input("Do you want to restart the INETD daemon? (yes/no): ")
#I'd do it like this:
answer = raw_input("Do you want to restart the INETD daemon? [Y/n]: ")
# Y is default, i.e. hitting enter is interpreted as yes
# typing yes or no is really too much typing in this case

>if len(answer) > 2:
>    print r
>elif len(answer) < 2:
>    print w
>else:
>    print n

if len(answer) == 0:
	os.system(r)
	# os.system runs the string..
elif answer[0] == 'y' or answer[0] == 'Y':
	os.system(r)
elif answer[0] == 'n' or answer[0] == 'N':
	print n
else:
	print w

# I'm assuming r does what it's supposed to, I didn't test it.. nor the
# code above

Hope this helps.

--

	Andrei