re findall mod for issue of side effects

A.M. Kuchling amk at mira.erols.com
Mon Jan 15 23:21:34 EST 2001

On Mon, 15 Jan 2001 08:11:43 -0500,
	Andrew Henshaw <andrew_dot_henshaw_at_earthling_dot_net> wrote:
>As to your suggestion (a new flag on regexp compilation meaning "all my
>parens are non-capturing"), I'd still like to retain the ability to use the
>non-capturing flag to exclude portions from the return string.  This may be

This problem is because .findall() only returns the string
corresponding to all of a match.  Someone else has suggested a
.findall() variant which returned the actual match objects, so then
you could loop over them all and construct whatever string you like.
It seems potentially cleaner to invent a name or interface for such a
variant and get it accepted.  (Hurry!  Maybe it can still get into
2.1!)

--amk