Should I learn Python or Java?

Brian Zhou brian_zhouNOSPAM at agilent.com
Sat Jan 6 23:12:13 EST 2001

See below.

"Charlotte Williams" <charlottwilliams at mediaone.net> wrote in message
news:HEO56.5504$y9.2881293 at typhoon.we.rr.com...
> Hello,
>
>     I am a Visual Basic programmer who wants to increase his knowledge of
> programming languages.  Now that the curses, boos, and barrage of rotten
> fruit are out of the way, I would like to ask this group a few questions
> :-) ...
>
> I notice that there is a lot of demand for Java programmers.  The only
> experience I have with an OO language is Smalltalk.   My questions are:

Wow! What else do you need to understand OOP/OOD if you already got
Smalltalk? Smalltalk is still the best in terms of learning OO concept.
Python is a lot like smalltalk, dynamic-typed but not as pure.

> 1.  Which language would be best to learn, Java or Python.  From a VB
> standpoint, which has the least learning curve?

Python if you start from VB and Smalltalk.

> 2.  Is going from object-based to object-oriented programming that huge a
> jump?   I want to learn an OO language, however I plan on utilizing it in
my
> career.

Shouldn't be a huge jump. Just need to spend more time in understanding
inheritance and polymorphism.

> 3. Which one is the most "fun" to program in?

Python, having used jpython on top of JVM driving java programs.

> 4.  Is Python multi-platform?  How is it's performance compared to JAVA in
> an internet situation?  It's reliability?

Multi-platform? yes. The performance depends a lot on implementation of the
framework. But Java's servlet is quite mature.

> 5.  Do you for see Python as becoming a major player like Java servlets
and
> MTS?  Can you see Python demand outstripping Java demand in 2 years time?

They are of different levels in the system that's hard to compare this way.
It's like comparing VB or Perl vs. C.

> Many of these questions are in response to a post I saw earlier where
Python
> was being touted as the next evolution of OO programming.  It went
something
> like...
> C --> C++ --> Java --> Python.

Python is basically an in-pure smalltalk with obj.method() invoking
convention, but also with practical usage in mind. So the idea is not that
new. Language design, after all, is a compromise. Smalltalk is like "I AM
the ideal world", while python is like "I will be used as a tool".

> I'm really interested in hearing from VB programmers that decided to jump
> into one or both of the languages,  has pretty good knowledge (enough to
get
> a Java or Python job) and the headaches and experiences they had learning
> about them.  Do you need a formal CS education to grasp them?  I tried
> finding information on these two, but the experiences I always found were
> or C++ programmers that tried to tackle them.  Some sites actually
belittled
> me as a VB programmer.  Since I have heard such good things about this
> groups hospitality, I thought I would ask here first.  Thanks.

Learning both may not be as difficult as it sounds. If you're aiming job
opportunities, java is now what COBOL is 30 years ago, so at least be
prepared to read java code. If your goal is learning OO, python probably is
a good choice. Language is like musical instrument, it's means to an end --
music. I highly recommend learning design patterns also.

> David Williams

Regards,

/Brian