Migrating to perl?

Joel Ricker joejava at dragonat.net
Thu Jan 4 21:49:00 EST 2001

 I'm thinking of moving from perl to python and I was looking for opinions
on the difference.  I'm sure this being a python-centric group that I'll get
very pro-python answers but I'm sure there are some old or current perl
programmers that should be able to fill me in.

Personally, I'm starting to get a little fustrated with perl.  To me, being
that there are so many contexts that code can be interpreted in it gets
confusing sometimes hunting down bugs.  Also, I've been learning OO perl
lately and deviations from what the code says should work and the
documentation says should work is an excercise in fustration and I'm about
ready to chunk it out the window.

So basically what I'd like to know is, how do the two compare?  Is there an
easier learning curve with Python?  Are the modules and add-ons as good as
perl (ie, Database -- I'm primarily interested in MySQL, CGI, Graphics).
What about OOP?  Is it it a full OO language?  Is it easier than to use than
perl?  Perl OO just feels like it has been cludged together.

And lastly, what about the Python community?  Is it friendlier than the perl
community?  Too many times I've asked questions and all I'll get is pointers
to documentation, which I've already read and so thats why I'm asking for
information in the first place.  I understand simple questions for basic or
novice information will warrant answers like that but not the things I've
asked.

Well thanks for any info.
Joel