why no "do : until"?

Bjorn Pettersen pbjorn at uswest.net
Wed Jan 3 10:21:11 EST 2001

Peter Hansen wrote:

> [snip]
> You are a cowboy-hacker type of programmer, not one working as a serious
> software engineer in a group environment, right?  Or, if the latter, your
> management just hasn't caught on yet.

Ad hominem attacks are out of place on c.l.py

> Seriously, nobody who really programs for a living instead of as a hobby
> should (in my opinion) have the attitude you express above towards a
> maintenance issue such as this.  In my opinion.  Nothing personal.

Personally, I find it more problematic to manage all the possible places in a while
1 loop that an exit can take place. While an unfortunate variable initialization
isn't good by any means, I would expect a loop that wasn't entered to be caught by
the test harness, having a loop accidentally exit because you forgot to change one
of the exit conditions might be harder to catch -- which incidentally is why I don't
allow while(1) or for(;;) in any project I work on unless you're writing a deamon
like prosess (and in case you were wondering, I'm the lead for a 100K+ line
project).

In any case, from the tone of the discourse in this thread it seems it would fit
better in the other p-language group. The "while 1" loop seems to be a holy cow in
Python. It can't be critiziced, and it won't be changed -- and this really should be
in the faq.

Since nobody is going to change their mind at this point, can we hope that this
thread will die?

-- bjorn