Python for embedded systems (was Re: What does Python do)

Christian Tanzer tanzer at swing.co.at
Wed Jan 24 03:41:37 EST 2001

Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote:

> > A lot of real-time system designers cringe at _any_ use of
> > dynamic memory allocation (other than a frame stack).  Dynamic
> > _anything_ is the bane of an embedded system.  Although Java
> > was supposed to be useful for embedded systems, it's been a
> > tough sell.
>
> Dynamic memory allocation is not inherently contrary to the
> requirements of real-time, although many people still think
> "speed" instead of "deterministic" when the word real-time
> comes into the conversation.  I think with a little care,
> and a generous upper limit for what you consider "soon enough",
> dynamic memory allocation can meet real-time requirements
> in certain cases.

You're right -- the important point is `deterministic'. But ensuring
deterministic behaviour in the presence of dynamic memory allocation
is a royal pain.

And while the combination of `a little care', `generous upper limit',
and `certain cases' might allow deterministic behaviour with dynamic
memory allocation you will still hava a hard time in validating the
system (or convincing the FAA or another third party about it).

--
Christian Tanzer                                         tanzer at swing.co.at
Glasauergasse 32                                       Tel: +43 1 876 62 36