ActivePython2.0 - Server Side objects for ASP problem

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Thu Jan 11 08:13:03 EST 2001

"Satheesh Babu" <vsbabu at erols.com> wrote in message
news:93k6k5$1g7$1 at bob.news.rcn.net...
> Hi Steve,
>
> That worked! Thanks...

Great. You have to be careful in ASP, since so many things you meet in the
environment appear to have the right properties and behavior.  Then you use
them in the wrong context, and BOOM (as you discovered).

> My actual requirement is not to gather HTML pages (I've one for that in
100%
> python ASP
> and by setting a BASE HREF, it works fine). I have this proprietary
software
> from a vendor
> which runs a server on some port and it accepts some commands on that
port.

Aha, so this was just an experiment.

> My requirement
> is to generate these commands on the fly, send it to this server and get
> response, from many
> ASP pages. I don't know how to do network programming in ASP/VBScript. In
> Python I've
> already written something which works, using socket library. My initial
> thought was to embed
> that Python code into my ASP scripts - won't work since ASP (atleast my
> installation) doesn't
> allow mixing of different languages.

Shurely shome mishtake: you are mixing VBScript and Python in the example
you gave! Or do you mean that communications between the languages is
problematical?

>                                                     Making a COM object on
the server is
> also beyond me.

If you get a copy of Mark Hammond and Andy Robinson's "Python Programming on
Win32" you'll be doing it before bedtime and thinking nothing of it.
Seriously, it's a lot less complicated than you might imagine.

> So, I got this idea and was just checking it out.
>
> Many thanks again

Always happy to help.

except-when-i'm-not-really-helping-ly y'rs  - steve