do python programmers avoid the mac?

Tom Loredo loredo at spacenet.tn.cornell.edu
Mon Jan 15 17:28:57 EST 2001

Pete wrote:

> Hi Fredrik
>
> Played with python on mac OS 9 for a few months...lots of loud noises
> (me when it crashes again.) I'm thinking that with far fewer
> developer-eyes off the main-stream this thing is never going to be
> stable enough...

I have been using MacPython with OS9 for about a year, doing some pretty
heavy number crunching (I'm an astronomer who does a lot of statistical
computing).  I make some loud noises, but so far they have all been due
to bugs of my own creation in my Python code or C extensions!  MacPython
itself has behaved admirably.  I have been using 1.5.2; I've just started
using 2.0 and so far it's behaving fine, too.

At work I am using Python on a Solaris machine.  I have had no problems
continuing my work at home in the evening with the same Python code on the
Mac.  I must say that MacPython has changed my life, allowing me to work
as comfortably on my PowerBook as on my Sparcstation.

I should emphasize that I am not doing any GUI programming.  I could imagine
that would cause more problems.

Cheers,
Tom Loredo