Random and whrandom

Tim Peters tim.one at home.com
Sat Jan 20 16:49:14 EST 2001

[cpsoct at my-deja.com]
> does random call whrandom or are they two completly different random
> number algorhythms? I could never figure that out. And Rand? That is
> depreciated, no? Why is there random *and* whrandom and when do you use
> which?

Historical accident.  At first whrandom is all that existed.  Then the
easier-to-use random got invented, calling whrandom under the covers.  But,
for backward compatibility, whrandom was retained with the same name.  Now
it's incomprehensible.  Just keep repeating "only random exists!" until you
truly, truly believe it <wink>.

More info at:

http://sourceforge.net/bugs/?func=detailbug&bug_id=125919&group_id=5470