Should I learn Python or Java?

Greg Jorgensen gregj at pobox.com
Sun Jan 7 05:18:38 EST 2001

"Charlotte Williams" <charlottwilliams at mediaone.net> wrote in message
news:HEO56.5504$y9.2881293 at typhoon.we.rr.com...
> Hello,
>
>     I am a Visual Basic programmer who wants to increase his knowledge of
> programming languages.  Now that the curses, boos, and barrage of rotten
> fruit are out of the way, I would like to ask this group a few questions
> :-) ...

Learn them both. Every language I've ever taken the time to learn has been
worth the effort. In my 20+ years making money writing code, BASIC
(including VB) and SQL have been the most consistently valuable. Python is
one of the most fun. C and C++ are good for the long haul. No one has ever
paid me for knowing Scheme, but learning it paid off in other ways. I used
to make money writing code in Fortran, COBOL, and Pascal. I can read and
write simple Java programs, and I'm digging into J2EE now because of the job
market.

Every language you learn makes the next one easier. Try Python until you are
comfortable with object-oriented thinking, then start playing with Java.

--
Greg Jorgensen
PDXperts
gregj at pobox.com