JPython 2.0 Anyone???

Tim Peters tim.one at home.com
Thu Jan 4 21:47:41 EST 2001

[posted & mailed]

[Benjamin Scherrey]
> Is there any 2.0 support going on for JPython? It seems that
> there's not a lot of new development going on in this area.

CNRI doesn't appear to be doing anything with JPython anymore.  That's the
bad news.  The good news is that Finn Bock and Barry Warsaw forked the
project, renamed it to Jython (the CNRI license did not allow them to
continue using the name JPython), and moved it to SourceForge:

    http://jython.sourceforge.net/

> I happen to be using some python 2.0 features and Jpython doesn't
> like 2.0 compiled libraries. I get:
> File "/usr/local/lib/python2.0/site.py", line 63
>         dir = os.path.join(*paths)
>         invalid syntax
> I presume that until 2.0 support is implemented that I'm out of
> luck?  If so, how long til I'm back in luck do you expect? :-)

Jython 2.0 beta 1 was released just about a week ago.  Finn worked like a
madman to add the new CPython 2.0 language features -- I can't swear they're
all in the beta, but at least almost all of them are.  If you find bugs or
incompatibilities, see the SourceForge site above for the Jython bug system
and Jython mailing list.

still-a-great-cup-of-joe-no-matter-the-name-ly y'rs  - tim