python-2.1 function attributes

Mike Romberg romberg at smaug.fsl.noaa.gov
Thu Jan 25 12:26:22 EST 2001

     > I suspect if you can come up with a decent syntax, it will go
     > in.  I can't though.  Any ideas?

  Well... I don't know if this qualifies as decent.  But I'll put it
out there.  The thought I have is that perhaps default attributes
could be handled like variable/keyword arguments.  This would have the
nice feature of moving 'em out of the function body.  I suppose we
could use '***' to indicate that the named argument is really an
attribute which the given value.  Something like this:

def spam(a, ***attr1='val1', ***attr2='val2'):
    pass

  This would be the equivalent of:

def spam(a):
    pass