little standalone windows game

Dan Rolander dan.rolander at marriott.com
Fri Jan 19 04:10:57 EST 2001

Hi Pete,

I'd be interested in hearing about how your solution works and seeing the
code. I too have been searching for a way to create 2.0 standalones
(particularly for Win32) for awhile now. Gordon McMillan's Installer is cool
when it works but has a number of difficulties with Python 2.0. What I've
finally come up with is a way to identify exactly which Python files are
used by a script, by capturing all of the dll loads and file openings with a
commercial product called Reveal (http://www.addisonsw.com) and having it
generate a component manifest. Then I create a minimal Python distribution
with just the files necessary to support that script, create a toplevel
script which when run points sys.path to the private distribution
directories, and I package everything into a self-extracting exe.

Python is a great language and the full install with all of the libraries is
a very powerful thing, but the difficulty in creating small standalone
distributions is (I think) the biggest issue.

Dan