(no subject)

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 2 17:07:38 EST 2001

<Patrick.Bussi at space.alcatel.fr> wrote in message

> Hello. Happy new Year.
>
> Basically, my need is to use the "seek" method on data retrieved from an
URL.
> The Python Reference Manual indicates that this method cannot be used
directly
> after opening the URL with urllib. Therefore I (unsuccessfully) tried
other
> ways.
>
> ---- First, I tried the extended form of the "print" statement, after
carefully
> reading the 6.6 of Python Reference Manual.
>
> The interpreter replied the following :
>
>     print >> indexpage, f1.read
>              ^
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>
> where :
> "indexpage" was a "true" file opened with "w" parameter, before the
occurrence
> of this statement,
> "f1" was the network object obtained by the urllib.urlopen() function.

You're trying to copy all data from f1 to the file indexpage?  If your
Python does not grok the horrid 'print>>' syntax, you may be using
release 1.5.2 or earlier.  But, anyway, you don't need that -- simple
method write of fileobject will do; and you do need parentheses
after 'f1.read' to CALL the function, else you're trying to deal with
the function object itself.  In short:

    indexpage.write(f1.read())

should do what you seem to require.

Alex