dns reverse look up with python ?

Greg Jorgensen gregj at pobox.com
Tue Jan 9 19:29:17 EST 2001

"Donn Cave" <donn at u.washington.edu> wrote in message
news:93g1k8$mhk$1 at nntp6.u.washington.edu...

> I won't guarantee that reverse lookup can always stabilize, but if
> that kind of brain damage exists out there it's pretty easy to avoid.
> In this particular example, it looks to me like the lookup DOES stabilize.
> That is, 'basic-igloo.winston.dreamhost.com' is still 216.240.147.136,
> and vice versa.  That second "real" DNS is the reverse lookup.

Many (too many) name servers can't or won't resolve reverse DNS properly.
Whether because of ignorance, error, or security worries, you can't trust
reverse DNS to work at all, and when it does the results are often
questionable. I agree that a hostname/IP address will stabilize most of the
time, but don't count on it.

--
Greg Jorgensen
PDXperts