Python & GUI?

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 18 15:15:56 EST 2001

"Marco Seiriö" <marco at crepido.com> wrote in message
news:3A674896.C7E52247 at crepido.com...
> Are there any GUI components or ways to build a GUI in
> Python that contains all the widgets that one would expect to
> find in a VB or Java environment. Can you (easily) build things
> like explorer like applications and such...

There is "an embarassment of riches" for GUI's in Python -- you
get to choose among many GUI frameworks, cross-platform and
not.  wxWindows is, I think, the fastest and most powerful
cross-platform choice, and for that one you also get a nice free
GUI builder (Boa Constrictor); tkInter is probably the most
widespread one; my personal favorite, however, is Dynamic
Html -- used in a cross-platform way, it has some limitations,
but, targeting one specific and powerful browser (such as IE),
it's awesome, IMHO (and I'm sure that making full use of
Mozilla's abilities can give similar results just as easily -- the
Mozilla 6 GUI parts, Gecko, is what ActiveState chose to build
their powerful cross-platform IDE, Komodo).  Nor would I count
good old tkInter out of the game, since /F is turning his attention
to making a 'new generation' on it... given /F's abilities, it may
well end up as the most powerful GUI kit of them all!

This is NOT meant as an exhaustive list -- PyQt, for example,
is also cross-platform and well liked (I'm told it's also no-cost
for Windows, despire the different status of Qt itself on Win
platforms), and I still haven't really gotten into platfom
specific things, such as PythonWin &c.

Alex