SMB Module

Vassilis Virvilis vasvir at iit.demokritos.gr
Mon Jan 1 08:50:45 EST 2001

Armin Steinhoff wrote:

[snip]

> In article <slrn94vpc7.544.mballen at angus.foo.net>, mballen at erols.com says...
> >
> >Armin Steinhoff wrote:
> >>Makes no sense, because a SMB client mapps normaly a M$ volume to a directory
> >>tree (UNIX) or a virtual drive (M$) ... I don't see in that case any tasks for
> >>Python.
> >
> >I'm not really sure what your talking about Armin.
>
> See above ... SMB clients :)

I think we have a slight misunderstanding here. Please let us remind you
that unless you are using linux you cannot mount SMB shares since you
lack the smbfs module which is a smb client actually. The SMB client
library is very useful in that respect, thus effectively allows other
operating systems to access MS servers. Since python offers bindings for
every other library in this planet I don't really see why such an
addition would be  useless or inconsistent.

[snip]

> BTW .. the 'SAMBA' SMB server works with WinXY and UNIX and it is FREE!

The thread was about SMB clients not SMB servers.

	.Bill