Comparison with Ruby ?

Moshe Zadka moshez at zadka.site.co.il
Fri Feb 23 05:49:44 EST 2001

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001 10:19:34 +0100, "Alex Martelli" <aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote:

> >      Ruby converts small integers and long integers automatically.
> > JB> Okay, nice for you
>
> No way.  Explicit is better than implicit.  I'd rather NOT
> have such 'automatic' (automagick) conversions anywhere!

Err....I don't agree. See PEP 0228
(http://python.sourceforge.net/peps/pep-0228.html).
I think it could be done in a very Pythonic way (of course, for full disclosure,
I am the author of said PEP...)
Numbers are numbers: I shouldn't care about how to store numbers in
machine-level integers more then I should care how to reallocate lists.
This PEP is a bit backwards incompatible, but in my not so humble opinion,
I think it does have a good chance of being in Py3K.
There is a related session in IPC9 given by Tim Peters, by the way.

--
"I'll be ex-DPL soon anyway so I'm        |LUKE: Is Perl better than Python?
looking for someplace else to grab power."|YODA: No...no... no. Quicker,