Python 2 for Debian?

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Tue Feb 27 20:20:06 EST 2001

On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 01:01:45AM +0000, Warren Postma wrote:

> > IIRC, it's not that Python's license is restrictive; it passes the DFSG
> > fine. It's the fact that it conflicts with the GPL according to RMS, so
> > distributing the readline module binary, say, could be a GPL violation.
> > No one wants to get Debian in legal trouble.

> This strikes me as so much pussyfooting around a non issue.   Sheesh.

But who's doing the pussyfooting ? RMS ? Debian ? CNRI ? Each one is doing
what they think is best. Note that the licence talks are still ongoing, and
a GPL-compatible 1.6.1 was released not a few days ago. Python 2.0 is
derived from 1.6 though, not 1.6.1, and also contains some BeOpen (and for
2.1, possibly some DC) specific stuff, so it requires some extra attention.
But there is still hope :)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>