Everyone will soon be using 2.0? (was: urllib.open('http://www.redherring.com/'))

Steve Purcell stephen_purcell at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 9 03:59:58 EST 2001

apederse at my-deja.com wrote:

> to me it looks like the problem lies whithin python itself? is there any
> point in reporting such bugs when everyone will soon be using python 2.0
> anyway?

Will they? There's a whole slew of people who will still be with 1.5.2 until
the likes of Redhat & Debian release Python 2 packages with an official
release. Some of the changes from 1.5.2 to 2.0 are very significant
(byte-code and c-extension incompatibility) and I can't imagine that the
major distributions will be able to standardise on 2.0 until all the
python add-ons have been re-built, tested and packaged too.

I for one will be sticking with 1.5.2 until there are 2.0 versions of every
add-on I use (pygresql, PIL and others) available or easily installable on
the majority of Linux boxes in my organisation and beyond. That will be at
least 6 months, in my estimation. (For Windows users, this time will be shorter
because they are used to gathering EXEs from random locations on the internet.)

Further, I think that people will be starting new projects with 1.5.2 for some
time yet, in the same way that there are Java projects starting off now with
JDK 1.1.

-Steve

--
Steve Purcell, Pythangelist