Can't get Tkinter Installed...what is my mistake?

Chris Nelson fimafeng at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 25 20:57:49 EST 2001

Hello:
I'm still trying to get IDLE working on RH Linux 7
I have done the following

rebuilt the RH box without the default tcl/tk 8.3.2 versions or the
tkinter 1.52 it comes with....

compiled and installed tcl and tk 8.0.5 on the system
compiled and installed BeOpen's 2.0 version of python

I have downloaded the source for Tkinter and the next thing I type is

python2.0 /myinstalls/Tkinter-2.0-8.0/setup.py build

I get the following output:

running build
running build_ext
building '_tkinter' extension
error: file 'src/_tkinter.c' does not exist

-----I double checked and that file is in the directory
/myinstalls/Tkinter-2.0-8.0/src

What is happening....?

All I ever wanted was a working copy of IDLE... on RH 7. It has been
maddening to say the least!!!!!!

Any assistance is appreciated,
Chris