Protecting Python Application Distributions - URGENT

Adam DePrince adam at deprince.net
Fri Feb 23 02:03:53 EST 2001

Dave LeBlanc wrote:

> Hi;
>
> I have the possible chance to do a consulting project in Python, but
> the customer has raised concerns about (not) doing a source
> distribution.
>
> I've read some stuff about python->C etc. but I haven't been able to
> find any concrete information.
>
> Any information about creating "exe" or "shrouded" or some other form
> of protected distribution on Windows would be greatly appreciated. (I
> realize that 100% protection is impossible given sufficient
> motivation; I'd just like to make it irritating enough that most
> people wouldn't bother trying to decompile/reconstruct the code.)
>
> Cross-emails to whisper at oz.net greatly appreciated!
>
> Regards,
>
> Dave LeBlanc
>
> P.S. Any solution that created stand-alone .exe files (no separate
> python.exe needed) would be of special interest.

You could just ship the compiled python files (.pyc).

If worry about others coping your stuff, well, stealing others code is
actually rather hard, it often takes longer to wrap ones mind around the
way others think than it does to rewrite it.  In fact, I've casually
observed that many projects, open source and closed, expereince the
greatest structural changes following changes in stewardship.  Besides,
if your code is good and your clients are smart, they are more likely to
say "hey, your stuff looks good.  Write more" if they can see it.

--
Adam DePrince
Starmedia Network, Inc.