python-dev summary, Jan. 16-31

Tim Peters tim.one at home.com
Mon Feb 12 18:21:19 EST 2001

[Paul Moore]
> Um. So let's just get this straight. Anyone can post to python-dev,
> anyone can read it via the web interface, so the only purpose of the
> restricted access is to stop people being able to read the content via
> a mailreader....???

The purpose is to discourage people from posting.  There's enough traffic on
Python-Dev from the blessed invitees without the flamewar-attracting ease of
hitting "reply" in a mail reader.  If someone wants to post something to
Python-Dev, it takes them some effort to do so, and-- while I don't
particularly care for that myself either --it has been effective in reducing
noise.

You might think that a moderated list would do just as well, but it
wouldn't:  at least half the Python-Dev traffic is about fixing bugs or
build problems in the latest CVS snapshot, and that goes on around the clock
(it's an international crew).  The Python-Dev people are *developing* Python
(writing code, writing docs, writing PEPs, running tests, porting to new
platforms, ...), and need to communicate as quickly as possible about
current development issues.  A moderator would get in the way of that; and
nobody has the spare bandwidth to play moderator anyway.

BTW, back when this kind of thing was discussed on c.l.py, people complained
about *that*.  Business as usual ...

If you want to argue for a language change, you have to get Guido's ear, and
the only sure way to do that (whether or not you're on Python-Dev!) is to
write a PEP.  Some of the Python-Dev discussions are interesting, but I bet
far fewer than you imagine.

then-again-there's-a-sure-way-for-you-to-find-out-ly y'rs  - tim