International/Localized Python GUI apps

timo at lightdog.com timo at lightdog.com
Wed Feb 14 08:49:23 EST 2001

I (desparately) want to be using python for our GUI apps here, but
we're currently using M$ Visual C++. I'm not very happy with it,
MFC in particular. It's a horrible set of wrappers on an unhappy api.

Still, we have some opportunity. I need to be able to do UIs that are
easily internationalizable, and I need to do a lot of work in grids. I've
looked at WxPython, but it doesn't seem to do wide characters
and/or unicode. I really need multilingual support, some of those
languages being asian ones.

Is there a way for me to propose python and tkinter or something
for this work? I really need grid controls, and i really need foreign
language support. If I have these, and can make an argument for it
being easier than MFC/VC++, then I have a really good chance of
getting it pushed through here.

Any help?

Tim