smtplib problem

Sheila King sheila at spamcop.net
Wed Feb 14 09:42:50 EST 2001

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001 22:12:50 -0800, Tim Roberts <timr at probo.com> wrote in
comp.lang.python in article <k98k8tkp9k6undl9t71ogvlu0vse4pqa1k at 4ax.com>:

:Sheila King <sheila at spamcop.net> wrote:
:>
:>Nice. And how does one do SMTP authorization? (There must be a way. I see that
:>the NNTP module includes authorization commands, but the smtplib doesn't!)
:
:There is no such thing.  The SMTP protocol does not include authorization.
:
:Some providers have gone to a scheme whereby you have to check for POP mail
:before you can use SMTP.  You have to send a password for POP, after which
:they open a short window wherein you can send mail.  That doesn't take any
:changes to smtplib.

There is a proposed SMTP AUTHORIZATION protocol. I have personally used a
number of services that require it, and have mail reader software (several
different packages) that support it.

--
Sheila King
http://www.thinkspot.net/sheila/