[Distutils] Re: CPAN functionality for python

Bruce Sass bsass at freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Tue Feb 27 03:35:56 EST 2001

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001, Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 26, 2001 at 11:57:36AM -0700, Bruce Sass wrote:
> >Ya, RPMs are not known for doing a good job of dependencies.  Debian
>
> They aren't?  The example given was a situation where one could say that
> RPM was doing *TOO* good a job of dependencies -- it was failing to
> install because you didn't have what was needed.

s/*TOO* good/overboard/  ;)

> For quite a long time I was runing a 5.2 machine running the newest versions
> of GTK, but older versions of glibc.  Practicly none of the stock binary RPMs
> would install on it because of that.
>
> However, if you pick up an SRPM, and do "rpm --rebuild package.src.rpm", it
> will build the RPM against *EXACTLY* the set of libraries and files you
> have.  It works brilliantly.

Agreed, so supply something that can be turned into an SRPM, or a
Debian .dsc+.diff+.orig.tar.gz source package, or a MS whatever.

I suppose one could provide SRPMs only - let everyone else do a
conversion - but that is favoring a specific packaging system and
could easily be misconstrued... which is why I suggested a neutral
format.

- Bruce