ARP Anyone?

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Wed Feb 7 22:43:32 EST 2001

Timothy Grant <tjg at exceptionalminds.com> writes:

> Has anyone ever done anything with ARP and Python? I'm looking for a way to
> track new workstations on a network (before they ever get an IP address)
> using python.

I just use the system "arp" command with os.popen and parse the output :-)

While there may be some slight differences in format or command line
options across platforms, it's probably the most portable way to
handle it since the underlying access to the ARP tables differs far
more (especially between Unix and Windows systems).

--
-- David