urllib.open('http://www.redherring.com/')

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Fri Feb 9 10:36:49 EST 2001

In article <95th67$36j$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,  <apederse at my-deja.com> wrote:

>I have some problems with urllib. Any URL works just fine except
>http://www.redherring.com/ which returns nothing, no headers, no
>nothing. (Red Herring works fine from any browser). I have tried to
>rule out any possible causes, such as cache and problems regarding
>headerfields by emulating a real browser request from netscape and
>konqueror (using fancyURLopener) and I have monitored network traffic
>using tcpdump.  Using tcpdump it looks like there is a request sendt
>to vip.redherring.com and a response coming back.  Could anyone look
>into this problem and see if this is related my particular computer and
>network configurations or if it is a problem lying within urllib or
>python.

I've just tried with a straight telnet session, and that also fails.
So, it's not just Python.

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

"Actually, I've found that Usenet has helped a lot with my terror of
social stupidity.  Seeing people I really like and respect behave like
idiots in public has been very beneficial."  --Rachael Lininger