Embedding setenv

Bolton, Gawain [ADC:4808:EXCH] boltong at europem01.nt.com
Thu Feb 22 05:23:13 EST 2001

O'Rourke Clodagh-corour01 wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I was wondering does anyone know how to embed the setenv command in python.
> I've tried os.system("setenv  VARIABLE value")
> But I get:  sh: setenv: not found
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Clodagh O Rourke

Yeah try:

import os
os.environ[name] = value

Note that this will set the environment variable for the current process.

Your os.system() call did not work firstly because "setenv" is a csh command
and os.system() spawned a plain old shell session.  Secondly, this is the
wrong approach because the environment variable will be set only for the
sub-process created by the system() command.  Thirdly, this approach is very
inefficient.

Gawain

Gawain Bolton                     | E-mail: boltong at nortelnetworks.com
Section 4808                      |
UMTS Development                  |
Nortel Networks                   | Voice:  ESN 579-3763   +33 1.39.44.37.63
Guyancourt, France                | FAX:    ESN 579-3009   +33 1.39.44.30.09