setproctitle [was: How do I change a process name or even athread name in python!]

Chris Gonnerman chris.gonnerman at usa.net
Wed Feb 14 08:49:49 EST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Oleg Broytmann" <phd at phd.pp.ru>
Subject: Re: setproctitle [was: How do I change a process name or even
athread name in python!]
>    setproctitle is available in libc only in *BSD. Other unicies require
> different tricks. Have you ever looked at sendmail source code? You'll
find
> there many surprises. The problem is their license.
>    May be I'll steal the code from Postgres (which has similar, but
> different implementation, covered under BSD license).

I looked at several implementations of setproctitle... they all seem to need
to be initialized at
program startup with the argc, argv and envp values from the call to main().
I'm not sure how
to do this in a module for Python without changing the main interpreter (but
I haven't looked
at the interpreter source yet...)