[ANNOUNCE] New version of the JAXML module

Jerome Alet alet at unice.fr
Tue Feb 20 04:00:59 EST 2001

Gerhard Häring wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Feb 2001 15:08:24 +0100, Jerome Alet <alet at unice.fr> wrote:
> >The JAXML module is GPLed, you can download it freely from:
> >
> >        http://cortex.unice.fr/~jerome/jaxml/

> Could you please change the license to LGPL or another more liberal license?
> This would make your module usable by a lot more people. Putting the GPL on
> a library prevents it from being used in a commercial application.

Several people have already asked the same thing...

The purpose of the GPL on this module is not to forbid you to use it in
a commercial application, but to forbid you to use it in a proprietary
application, which is very different.

If your commercial application is delivered under the GPL then there's
no problem: feel free to sell it, and sell my module if you want. But
you must also give the same rights to
the people you sell it.

Despite its very small size, I think this module is (or could be made)
powerful, and it took me some time to write it, so I don't want it to be
used in non-Free Software. I think (maybe I'm wrong) that its simplicity
of use compared to the official (and of course more complete) XML
modules is attractive and is an advantage given to the Free Software
world.

Since I want to give my copyright on this module to the FSF, their
policy might be different and they could decide to put it under the
LGPL, but now it is GPLed.

So, not to be rude, but your only options are:

	* use this module internally and don't redistribute your work
	* distribute your application under the GPL licence (best choice for
people)
	* don't use my module (probably your best choice for a proprietary
application)

bye,

--
Jerome Alet - alet at unice.fr - http://cortex.unice.fr/~jerome