import statement is case sensitive

Costas Menico costas at meezon.com
Thu Feb 22 14:51:17 EST 2001

Just wanted to let you know what I have found so far using Python
under Windows/DOS.

1) I can get PythonWin import to be case-insensitive but only if I do
an os.environ["PYTHONCASEOK"]="1" before the import (but after I
import os in the correct case :)

2) I tried setting it at the DOS prompt (SET PYTHONCASEOK=1) but
python.exe seems to ignore it.

3) You can set View/Folder Options/View in Windows Explorer to allow
all upper case filenames. But it really looks screwed up since many
directories are in upper case. Very difficult to read.

4) python -h   scrolls off the screen and there is no way to either
redirect the output nor pipe it to MORE.EXE.I had to find the help in
the book.

The original problem i was faced had to do with mxODBC. He imports
from ODBC (upper case) directories in his sample code. I know I can
change his code but I this is the stuff that comes back to bite..

Anyway I found a solution around the case issue and for now I have to
deal with Tkinter and not working with PythonWin. Works with
python.exe.

Does anyone have ideas why it doesnt work?

Thanks for the help

Costas Menico