python 3000 IDE? be warned: contentious

Neil Hodgson neilh at scintilla.org
Fri Feb 16 17:33:20 EST 2001

charles loboz:

> 2. Competition is good, splitting efforts probably less good. And there's
> fine line between them.
> 4. Good and lasting IDE is about modularity and ease of extension. While I
> applaud the efforts of ActiveState I'm not sure that using Mozilla gives
> enough fuel for the long run.

   Not all the effort is duplicated. Several IDEs use Scintilla as their
editing component. To share work, you have to find a bundle of functionality
that is widely applicable and refrain from dictating policies that will
conflict with particular uses.

   Other areas that may benefit from shared components are the debugging
interface between the IDE and the running program and interfaces to source
code control and project management. If the debugging interface used in
Komodo works well then it would be a good candidate for wide adoption.

   Neil