Weird Language Features

Steven D. Majewski sdm7g at Virginia.EDU
Mon Feb 19 13:30:52 EST 2001

In objective-c, the functional/procedural part of the language is
just ANSI C, so, with respect to undefined functions, the answer
would be the same as C: no.

The object-oriented feature of objective-C are based on smalltalk,
so with respect to methods, it's like smalltalk. Any class can
implement forwardInvocation: (as well as some other introspective
methods) to pass methods it doesn't understand to a proxy or delegate.

(I believe you can even redefine this method for NSObject itself, so
 that all subclasses will inherit this new implementation. )

The python<->objective-c bridge in PyObjC uses this in it's
implementation. There are proxy objects sitting between python
classes and their objective-c equivalents. Some common transformations
are built in, so NSStrings and NSArrays can be treated as python
sequences, but in general, python methods are name-mangled into
objective-c method names by translating colons to/from underscores,
and the proxies forward them (depending on which direction you're
going -- objective-C calling Python or Python calling objective-c.)

-- Steve Majewski <sdm7g at Virginia.EDU>