python-crypto list hosted at SURFnet.nl

Andrew Kuchling akuchlin at mems-exchange.org
Wed Feb 7 17:28:54 EST 2001

Dan Parisien <dan at eevolved.com> writes:
> I know you are not a legal expert, but it seems you have more knowledge
> than me in this area. Does this export control only matter to US citizens?

The last time I looked into this, Canada had looser regulations than
the US; if software is freely redistributable, it's considered
equivalent to public domain, and therefore can be exported from Canada
without filling out any forms or doing anything special.

> What if crypto code written by Canadian citizens is hosted on a US web
> server? (PyAES on sourceforge.net)

It would be OK to import the code, but the person/entity hosting it
inside the US could potentially run into trouble (though current US
regulations are quite loose for open source software, explicitly
mentioning it as an exception).

--amk