Beginning to learn python...help needed!

Robert L Hicks bobhicks at adelphia.net
Mon Feb 5 11:51:13 EST 2001

"Python an Tkinter Programming" by John Grayson is an excellent work and has
great info on Tkinter as well as PMW.

I think Mark Lutz is coming out with an update to his tome around March or
so.

Hmmm...I would use a class when I have a collection of objects with
identical characteristics.

Example:

class Message:
    def __init__(self, aString):
        self.text = aString
    def printIt(self):
        print self.text

Having defined a class you can now create instances of the Message class and
manipulate them:

m1 = Message("Hello world!")
m2 = Message("So long and thanks for all the fish!")

note = [m1, m2) # put the objects in a list
for msg in note:
    msg.printIt() # print each message in turn

Hope this helps. The example was taken from "Learning to Program using
Python" by A. Gauld. He also has a web site at:

http://www.crosswinds.net/~agauld/

I have found both to be extremely useful!

- Bob