Sping (was PIDDLE) not producing PDF file

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Fri Feb 16 09:20:07 EST 2001

This is a little program I used to produce digital camera thumbnail listings
under 1.5.2 which worked fine. I've loaded sping and PIL under 2.0 (where's
all the documentation gone?) and modified the code to accommodate the new
packaging structure. It runs, but seems to produce no PDF file. Can anyone
point out what I might be doing wrong?

regards
 Steve

from sping import *
from sping.PDF import PDFCanvas, Font
import PIL.Image, os.path, sys, glob

MAXLINE = 8
MAXCOL = 4
LINEHEIGHT = 100
COLWIDTH = 140
LEFTMARGIN = 45
TOPMARGIN = 45

fntLarge = Font(face="helvetica", size=16, bold=1)
fntMedium = Font(face="helvetica", size=12, bold=1)
fntSmall = Font(face="helvetica", size=8, bold=0)

imagename = []
for filepat in sys.argv[1:]:
    for infile in glob.glob(filepat):
        imagename.append(infile)

imagename.sort()
lineno = MAXLINE+1
colno = MAXCOL+1
pageno = 0

out = PDFCanvas(name = "C:\PhotoClips.pdf")

for i in range(len(imagename)):
    if colno >= MAXCOL:
        lineno = lineno+1
        colno = 0
    if lineno >= MAXLINE:
        lineno = 0
        colno = 0
        if pageno > 0: out.clear()
        pageno = pageno +1
    print imagename[i]; sys.stdout.flush()
    im = PIL.Image.open(imagename[i])
    imx = colno*COLWIDTH+LEFTMARGIN
    imy = lineno*LINEHEIGHT+TOPMARGIN
    out.drawImage(im.resize((220,146)), imx, imy, imx+109, imy+72)
    out.drawString(os.path.basename(imagename[i]),
        imx, imy+80, fntSmall)
    colno = colno +1

out.flush()

Tools, training and technology to help you meet your information needs