setproctitle [was: How do I change a process name or even a thread name in python!]

Steven D. Majewski sdm7g at virginia.edu
Tue Feb 13 22:15:42 EST 2001

On 14 Feb 2001, Donn Cave wrote:

> It looks to me like the only platforms that have setproctitle()
> at this point are NetBSD, FreeBSD, OpenBSD and BSDI.  Most of the
> rest of the UNIX world does have some way to overwrite the command
> line as seen from "ps", but not all very pretty.

Maybe there's a evil curse on the function, Donn.

The man page for it on macosx seems to die in midsentence,
as if the author was struck dead for trying to tell us it's
bizarre history.

SEE ALSO
     ps(1),  w(1),  printf(3)

HISTORY
     The setproctitle() function first appeared in

BSD Experimental                April 13, 1994                               1

In fact, not dissimilar from how the Python Underground has
been known to