Python emacs mode (newbie)

Evgeny Roubinchtein evgenyr at cs.washington.edu
Fri Feb 16 03:18:05 EST 2001

"Syver Enstad" <syver at NOSPAMcyberwatcher.com> writes:

> Is there anybody who has any idea on how to implement a module loading
> function in GNU Emacs like the one Pythonwin has?
>
> The basic idea is that instead of writing a file name you write a module
> name, like ex:
> httplib or win32com.client.dynamic and the editor will load the specified
> module.

How do you want this to work?  So you want a function like
(my-find-python-module "foo"), and up comes the window containing the
window containing the module foo.

A slightly different approach would be to require that the user have
an inferior python process running, and ask that process to locate the
module, then Emacs just loads it...  (i.e., Python, rather than Emacs
is doing the path searching).

If you haven't been exposed to lisp at all, you'll probably want to
start with the Emacs lisp introduction, which can be found at:

http://www.gnu.org/manual/emacs-lisp-intro/emacs-lisp-intro.html

You will then want to use the Emacs Lisp Reference Manual:

http://www.gnu.org/manual/elisp-manual-20-2.5/elisp.html

Happy hacking!

--
Evgeny