IP Math anyone?

Mark Pilgrim f8dy at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 27 14:35:32 EST 2001

"Jay O'Connor" <joconnor at cybermesa.com> wrote in message
news:3A9BEC42.5F9888 at cybermesa.com...

> Remco Gerlich wrote:
>
> > Erno Kuusela <erno-news at erno.iki.fi> wrote in comp.lang.python:

> > > why do you think .0 or .255 are not usable addresses?
> >
> > I was confused about netmasks. I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition!
> >

> No one expects the Spanish Inquisition
>

> (How many other identical posts will there be ?)

The real question is, why hasn't anyone written a bot to automate this?

import nntplib
import time

def inquisitionBot(host, port=119, user=None, password=None,
starttime=None):
 if not starttime:
  starttime = time.localtime(time.time() - 60*60*24)
 s = nntplib.NNTP(host, port, user, password)
 try:
  resp, articles = s.newnews("comp.lang.python", \
           time.strftime("%y%m%d", starttime), \
           time.strftime("%H%M%S", starttime))
  for articleID in articles:
   resp, status, cmd, body = s.body(articleID)
   if [line for line in body if \
    line[:1]<>'>' and \
    line.lower().count("i didn't expect the spanish inquisition")]:
    # if I continue this someone might actually use it... :)
    pass
 finally:
  s.quit()

-M
You're smart; why haven't you learned Python yet?
http://diveintopython.org/