python-dev summary, Jan. 16-31

Paul Moore paul.moore at uk.origin-it.com
Mon Feb 12 11:49:04 EST 2001

On Thu, 8 Feb 2001 22:38:55 +0100 , "Andrew Dalke" <dalke at acm.org>
wrote:

>Oh yeah, I forgot:
>
>says in bold that
>
>  Subscription is by invitation only.
>
>and adds
>
>  This is a closed list
>
>So just how am I supposed to follow what is going on
>in Python development and how do I make comments in a
>timely manner?
>
>Feeling snubbed,

I agree entirely. I follow python-dev avidly, but I hate the web
interface for doing so. The tone of the comments on the subscription
page seem to make it vey clear that "casual observers" are not
welcome, and that is all I would be likely to be.

I may well be glad to make the odd comment, but I cannot commit myself
to any significant level of participation, so I am stuck with only the
web interface.

I'd argue for, at the least, making python-dev available freely on a
"read only" basis, and preferably allowing open access, with a strong
policy of keeping postings on-topic (I don't really have a feeling
that the Python community would abuse write access to python-dev, but
it is a potential issue, witness the perl5 porters list...)

But nevertheless, thanks Andrew for the work you have done.

Paul Moore.