smtplib problem

Sheila King sheila at spamcop.net
Sat Feb 17 11:01:39 EST 2001

On Fri, 16 Feb 2001 12:59:03 +0100, Ulf Engstrøm <ulf.engstrom at b2b-link.com>
wrote in comp.lang.python in article
<mailman.982324940.17913.python-list at python.org>:

:Hello :)
:As in RFC2554(http://www.landfield.com/rfcs/rfc2554.html)
:
:(1) the name of the SMTP service extension is "Authentication"
:(2) the EHLO keyword value associated with this extension is "AUTH"
:(3) The AUTH EHLO keyword contains as a parameter a space separated
:       list of the names of supported SASL mechanisms.
:(4) a new SMTP verb "AUTH" is defined
:(5) an optional parameter using the keyword "AUTH" is added to the
:       MAIL FROM command, and extends the maximum line length of the
:       MAIL FROM command by 500 characters.

Ulf,

Thanks for providing more tips and suggestions on this topic.

:This is not included in smtplib, but can be used with .ehlo(). One problem
:arises; the MAILFROM command has to be accompanied with an AUTH as well on
:most servers supporting RFC2554. I made a patch for this a long time ago,
:but I've lost it since, don't know it it's possible to obtain it from the
:patch-manager on sourceforge in some way.
:The number of mailservers supporting this is not in majority, but it's
:growing, especially in Europe. If it's interesting for more people I could
:probably make a new patch to smtplib, or just create an authsmtplib. Or has
:someone done this already?

Well, clearly I'm interested. I wonder if others are? I'd suspect there is not
such a big demand, since I was even told in this thread, that there is no such
thing as SMTP authorization, and that hardly anyone uses it! Please don't go
to any trouble on only my account, as I don't know how soon I'd get around to
using it (many other projects on my slate at this time...)

--
Sheila King
http://www.thinkspot.net/sheila/

:Sheila King <sheila at spamcop.net> wrote:
:>
:>Nice. And how does one do SMTP authorization? (There must be a way. I see
:that
:>the NNTP module includes authorization commands, but the smtplib doesn't!)