Using Python for Web development

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Mon Feb 12 01:21:11 EST 2001

billy_bill_1 at my-deja.com wrote:

>Thanks heaps for all the links and help, I think I'll start with
>mod_python.

It might be easier for you to forget about an Apache module to start with,
and just do plain CGI scripts.  The python interpreter isn't all that big.

>One more thing I just thought of, how fast is python
>compared to php, asp perl etc?  PHP is damn fast for a scripting
>language, any benchmarks around?

Does it really matter?  CGI script execution time is negligible compared to
network overhead time.  The cost savings in development is significant
enough that I'll pay a performance penalty that cannot be measured, anyway.

If you program Python like you program Perl, you will find Python to be
slower.  For example, Perl programs often become a morass of regular
expression tweaks; Python doesn't do as well for that.  But once you figure
out the "Python" way to do things, the difference becomes slight.
- Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.