What IPC accessible from Python

Erno Kuusela erno-news at erno.iki.fi
Sun Feb 18 11:56:18 EST 2001

In article
<Pine.A41.3.96.1010218101440.21000A-100000 at aix2.uottawa.ca>,
<abouf066 at aix2.uottawa.ca> writes:

| Greetings,
| 	I need to spawn a process within a python application and I need
| to have some communication between the child and the parent. Sockets are
| 'sort of heavy' for my application. I was thinking to use a shared memory
| or a pipe but I did not find any documentation (example) to understand how
| this would be used.

os.pipe() works just like pipe(2) in the unix c syscall api.

no sysv shared memory (at least in the standard library, there
may be 3rd party modules), but the mmap shared memory may work
(with the mmap module in python >= 2.0).

shared memory feels a lot heavier than pipes or unix domain sockets to
me...

  -- erno