IDLE & Gadfly frustration

gbell at uclink.berkeley.edu gbell at uclink.berkeley.edu
Thu Feb 1 10:00:38 EST 2001

Thank you -- the raw string & os.mkdir features should help me out.

But to reiterate my first question, does anyone know why running a
script via the ctrl-f5 function in IDLE (as opposed to the command
line) should affect the default directory where gadfly places data
files?  This is true when I set the "mydirectory" value (see original
question) to an empty string.  It seems that IDLE alters the default
path.  Am I right, and can I prevent this?

In article <95b902$613$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,
  Greg Jorgensen <gregj at pobox.com> wrote:
> The directory you give to gadfly must exist. You can create a new
> directory like this:
>
>   import os
>   os.mkdir(r"c:\mydirectory")
>
> The r"..." string literal is a raw string; this prevents Python from
> interpreting the backslashes as escapes. You can also do this:
>
>   os.mkdir("c:\\mydirectory")
>
> To create a new database from gadfly, after you have created the
folder:

>   from gadfly import gadfly
>   cx = gadfly()
>   cx.startup("databasename", r"c:\mydirectory")
>
>   etc.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> --
> Greg Jorgensen
> Portland, Oregon, USA
> gregj at pobox.com
>
> In article <95b5gk$2gi$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,
>   gbell at uclink.berkeley.edu wrote:
> > Two newbie questions:
> >
> > 1) I'm trying to write a script which creates, then makes use of, a
> > Gadfly database to be stored in my Python20 directory.  When I run
the
> > script from the (MS-DOS) command line, all is well. When I run the
> > script using IDLE, the Gadfly data files are created in my
TOOLS/IDLE
> > directory.  IDLE seems to have its own ideas about my preferred
> default
> > directory. Is there any way to change this?
> >
> > 2) A related frustration:  could someone tell me the proper syntax
for
> > specifying directory paths in Python (or perhaps I'm asking for the
> > proper Gadfly syntax)?  The Gadfly documentation says:
> >   connection.startup("mydatabase", "mydirectory")
> > So far, I've only had luck setting the second variable to ""
(perhaps
> > because of the problem mentioned in #1).  Should "mydirectory"
begin
> > with c:?  Use double backward slashes?  forward slashes?
> >
> > Many, many thanks.
> >
> > Gregory Bell
> > gbell at uclink.berkeley.edu
>
> Sent via Deja.com